Friday, November 19, 2010

Stuck on a train

So, this is new to me and generally I choose to rant in my journal.  However, with the onset of social media madness I find myself blogging.  Stuck on a train.....seems like most of my life I have been stuck in some way or another.  People who know me think I have it all....the house, the career, family etc.  For most my life is a perfect example of living the American Dream.  The American Dream....sounds great, but there is only one problem....its not my dream.  
I as sit here waiting for the train to move I wonder how I got to this point.  I have always desired being part of the dream that our society holds so dear.  Now I have it and have had it for quit some time.  But everything about it feels like I am living someone else's life.  Like many of us, I have always done what I was told to do and learned to like it. 
But now as I approach mid life I no longer want to be a game piece.  I have dreams that I now need to explore.  The house is too big, the career is too stressful and my family is too needy.  I long for freedom, the chance to take risk and adjust to the consequences.  I am tired of being the responsible one...the one everyone looks to for support and advice. 
I have been in a state of transformation for the last 5 years.  When my mother died, I realized I no longer had to please anyone with my actions or decisions.  However, the process of living that realization has been slow.  So recently I have decided to make so much needed changes. 
I put my house up for sale and planned to move to sunny Arizona and raise goats:)  My plan is on hold as the housing market is not in my favor.  So now that the goat raising idea is not going to happen, I have decided its time to change careers.  I have been with my current company for almost 20 years.  I have learned so much and grown so much as a person from this experience.  However, I realize that I have remained in the career not because its my passion but because its my safety net. 
I have so many questions and no answers.  I am in a mid management position and have a decent salary.  I have a generous vacation package and the benefits are outstanding.  So why would I leave all this for the unknown.  I know I can get another job in my field, but that would defeat the purpose of leaving my current job.  So what exactly will I do....I have a million ideas, a few plans and a lot of heart burn. 
I have many passions, but question how these passions can fulfill me spiritually /emotionally and pay the bills.   The American Dream does not come cheap.  Taxes, insurance, utility bills...the list goes on...not to mention the teenager who wants and needs everything.  Am I insane or a trail blazer?  I guess time will tell.